The Certificate in Training and Development twelve week programme provides participants with the tools to identify training needs and design, plan, deliver and evaluate quality and engaging training.
The course is aimed at qualified practitioners who wish to pursue a career as a trainer. The course is aimed at individuals already involved in designing and delivering training as part of a project; and team leaders, supervisors and managers required to plan, deliver and/or evaluate training in their workplace.
What will I learn?
The certificate will provide you with the knowledge and skills to deliver good quality training. During it you will:
- Develop and enhance your skills as a trainer
- Provide you with the ‘Essential Trainer Toolkit’ that will enable you to confidently identify training needs and design, plan, deliver and evaluate quality and engaging training interventions
- Help you understand your role with regard to best practice in adult education, group work, legislation, equality and diversity issues
After successfully completing the course you should be able to:
- Demonstrate a broad range of knowledge of training and development practice and the role of training and development across a range of organisations
- Demonstrate an understanding of key principles and theoretical concepts underpinning training and development within a range of contexts
- Apply a comprehensive range of specialised skills and tools to develop strategies required for training and development needs identification, delivery and evaluation in a range of contexts
- Select from appropriate tools and techniques to identify training and development needs, deliver and evaluate a training intervention
- Apply training and development concepts, technical skills and creative thinking to a range of contexts
- Implement a training and development plan to include the identification of training and development needs within an organisation and delivery and evaluation of training interventions
- Evaluate own learning and assist others to identify their learning styles and needs within a training and development context
- Reflect on personal and professional practice, evaluating the impact on others within a training and development context
The learning outcomes associated with this award are outlined in the associated Component Specifications.
The Training and Development Special Purpose Award (6S3372) consists of two modules: Training Needs Identification and Design (6N3325) and Training Delivery and Evaluation (6N3326)
The learning outcomes associated with this award are outlined in the associated Component Specifications
Module 1 – Training Needs Identification and Design (15 credits) QQI /FET Level 6 Component Certificate 6N3325 Programme Content: (2-day workshop)
- Context of Training and Development and the factors that impact on its role and implementation in the workplace
- Training Needs Analysis – ‘the how to guide’
- How to design effective Training Plans based on identified needs
Module 2 – Training Delivery and Evaluation (15 credits) QQI /FET Level 6 Component Certificate 6N3326 Programme Content: (3-day workshop)
- The role and essential competencies of a Trainer Role
- Best practice in Adult Training and Education
- Training and Delivery in Practice – creating engaging and constructive learning environments Equality, diversity and disability in the context of current legislation
- Integrating Evaluation into the Training Cycle – ‘the how to guide’
How will I be assessed?
Successful completion of the Award is dependent on completing the following assessments:
For Training Needs Identification and Design you are required to:
- Write two assessments on the theory and concepts underpinning Training Needs Identification and Design
- Conduct a Training Needs Analysis
- Design a Programme and Lesson Plan
For Training Delivery and Evaluation you are required to:
- Demonstrate your delivery skills
- Evaluate a training programme of your own design
This may sound daunting but its important to understand the kind of supports we offer our students.
What supports will I have?
The course uses a ‘blended’ approach which combines online learning, virtual tutorials and face-to face workshops.
Our online learning materials are explicitly designed to accommodate the pressures that come with trying to balance work, life and learning. They make it possible to build study time around your work schedule. These are accessible through our learning centre which provides a platform for you to study, collaborate and communicate with your fellow learners. Regular online tutorials will expand your knowledge of the topic and answer any questions you have as you study.
Each workshop focuses on extending your understanding of the subject matter and helping you apply it in your working practice. The workshops will be led by a subject matter expert who also has extensive experience in providing coaching/training to people working in the human services and non-profit sector.
This is known as the OTC Supported Open Learning Model. You can read more about it here.
The Learning Experience
THE DIRECTOR'S VIEW - CLAIRE HOPKINS
How do you think people benefit from the course?
This award replaces the old, popular Train the Trainer award. This new award gives the participants an in-depth understanding of the Training Cycle. The College will support you through your studies through its award winning student support model. The course may give you fresh ideas, or remind you of a past achievement or change how you think about an aspect of training. You will leave with the best practice tools and techniques to enhance your practice as a trainer and identify your agencies training needs.
What motivated you to become a tutor in the first place?
I’m passionate about providing positive and worthwhile learning experiences. It underpins everything I do in the College as a designer and deliverer of meaningful accredited programmes.
How will Completing this Course Improve my Career Prospects?
The special purpose award is aimed at qualified practitioners who wish to pursue a career as a trainer, individuals already involved in designing and delivering training as part of a community development project; and team leaders, supervisors and managers required to plan, deliver and/or evaluate training in their workplace.
The qualification enhances any CV where you may want to go into management, training or develop your human resource skills.
Successful participants who have successfully completed the two components will obtain:
- Training and Development Special Purpose Award (6S3372)
Dates & Duration
The next course commence on 21st August 2020 in Dublin.
The course runs for 12 weeks.
- Friday, 21st August 2020 (TNID)
- Friday, 28th August 2020 (TNID)
- Friday, 25th September 2020 (TDE)
- Friday, 2nd October 2020 (TDE)
- Friday, 9th October 2020 (TDE)
- TNID Assessments due: Friday, 25th September 2020
- Final Assignment Submission Date: Friday, 6th November 2020.
Venue: TURAS, Dublin
The course costs €699 to attend (or €375 per module).
Booking a Place
Please note this course is numbers dependent. Apply via our Online Application Centre by following the link below: