This intensive, six week course Key Management Skills – the first module of our 2-module Fast Track Management course for PIC’s – will increase your ability to lead, motivate and manage a team in the human services and non-profit sector. After completing the certified programme, you will:
- Understand the critical factors that determine how you manage
- Possess the tools required to evaluate, extend and improve your personal and organisational management capabilities
Who Is This Course For?
The course is for current/prospective first line supervisors and managers who are looking to enhance their leadership, motivational, team-building and management skills in an accredited programme developed specifically for the social care and non-profit sector.
It is particularly suitable for people engaged in continuing professional development. Upon successful completion, you will receive 10 educational credits towards a Level 6 Applied Management award that can be used as a platform to gain further qualifications.
At a Glance
- Audience First line supervisors & managers in the human services & non-profit sector
- Duration6 weeks
- Award Certificate in Key Management Skills (6N14520)
- Award TypeQQI/HET
- Level on NFQ6 (10 Credits)
- Fees €395
- Apply byMay 8th, 2019
- Online IntroMay 13th, 2019
- Start DateMay 20th, 2019
- Workshop DateMay 27th, 2019
- Assignment Due DateJune 30th, 2019
After successfully completing the course you should be able to:
- Describe and critically discuss key aspects of managing people
- Employ a number of theories that are used to explain the management of people
- Critically examine how people are managed in your organisation
- Analyse and evaluate how you manage other people
- Formulate development
The course covers the following topics:
- Who do you manage?
- Providing feedback
- How to support your staff
- Managing your manager
- The key skills required to manage volunteers
- Group dynamics, development and performance factors
- The elements of effective teamwork
- Team building: a process model
- Leadership theories
- The traits of an effective leader
- How managers can lead
- Motivation theories
- How to motivate yourself and your team
- The cause and effect of conflict
- The difference between position and issue in conflict situations
- The ACT model
To complete the course you will need to write a 2,000-word paper that explores the relationship between the course materials and your role as a manager. Very much a practical assignment, it will provide you with the opportunity to evaluate and expand your working practices in an environment where you have access to expert advice and the support of professional contemporaries. Having access to this learning community provides an opportunity to extend your management abilities in a uniquely supportive environment.
Taking the Course
Our online learning materials are explicitly designed to accommodate the pressures that come with trying to balance work, life and learning. They make it possible to build study time around your work schedule. These are accessible through our learning centre which provides a platform for you to study, collaborate and communicate with your fellow learners. Regular online tutorials will expand your knowledge of the topic and answer any questions you have as you study.
Each workshop focuses on extending your understanding of the subject matter and helping you apply it in your working practice. The one-day session will be led by a subject matter expert who also has extensive experience in providing coaching/training to people working in the human services and non-profit sector.
Discussion, collaboration and the sharing of experiences are actively encouraged in order for the workshop to achieve one of its primary goals:
- Facilitating the application of knowledge and skills acquired during the course to address real world challenges in a practical and effective manner.
Underpinning all of this is our learning community. This is made up of tutors who have extensive first-line experience, learning support staff who understand the human challenges people can face when attending college and our learners who are defined by their commitment to supporting each other.
We believe this creates a learning experience that is unique to the Open Training College, one that meets the specific requirements of people working in our sector and improves the quality of service our users receive. This is known as the Supported Open Learning Model. You can read more about it here.
The Learning Experience
The Tutor’s View – Brendan Collins
Throughout you’ll have access to our learning community, which is made up management experts with first line experience and professional contemporaries who are taking the course. Our programme focuses on harnessing the community to deal with these so the time you devote to completing the course is also time you are spending dealing with real-world challenges.
The Student View – Orla Donnelly, Social Care, St. Michael’s House
The course gave a very good overview of what is involved in leadership. The area of teamwork, group dynamics, how teams evolve and how best to motivate your team was also very interesting and gave a lot of food for thought.
The course is certified by QQI as a Level 6 Award. Successful participants will be awarded a Certificate in Key Management Skills: Teamwork Leadership & Communications. Successful participants will hold 10 credits against the Certificate in Applied Management (Human services).
Dates & Duration
The next course starts on Monday, May 20th, 2019 and will run for 6 weeks:
- Application deadline: Wednesday, May 8th, 2019
- Introductory eLearning preparation commences: Monday, May 13th, 2019
- Key Management Skills commences: Monday, May 20th, 2019 (online)
- Workshop/Seminar (Dublin): Monday, May 27th, 2019
- Assignment due Date: Sunday, June 30th, 2019.
The course costs €395 to attend.
How Do I Apply?
Apply by visiting the Online Application Centre.
To apply for the course, you will need to:
- Satisfy the entry requirements for the programme
- Provide a range of documents to support your application
- Submit a personal statement explaining why you want to apply
How Can We Help?
Contact us if you want to know more about the course.
Call or eMail
Call: (+353 1) 298 8544
Mail: Click Here