This 6-week course encourages the student to reflect on the importance of getting regulation right within their role and the impact regulation has on the organisation, staff and service users.
Who Is This Course For?
The course is suited for people working in a human service environment for at least 10 hours per week as a team member, manager, PIC or PPIM. This is so that learners may both learn from their work environment and apply theory to it.
At a Glance
- Audience First line supervisors & managers in the human services & non-profit sector
- AwardCertificate in Managing for Regulation and Inspection
- Award Type QQI HET
- Level on NFQ 6 (10 Credits)
- Apply byApril 29th, 2019
- or May 27th, 2019
- Online Induction ModuleMay 6th, 2019
- or June 3rd, 2019
- Start DateMay 13th, 2019
- or June 10th, 2019
- WorkshopMay 20th, 2019
- or June 17th, 2019
- Assignment DueJune 23rd, 2019
- or July 14th, 2019
- Duration6 weeks
The course has the objective of supporting the student in examining the origins of regulation with Irish service provision and to review current regulation that is informing human service provision. The student will also be facilitated to reflect on their own role as a manager in respect to the regulatory process and to prepare effectively for and undertake an evaluation of their own area of responsibility while finally designing an action plan in order to enhance the service.
On successful completion of this course you will be able to:
- outline the origins of regulation in human services
- recount the current regulation influencing human services
- discuss the role of the frontline manager in regulation and inspection
- design a plan to effectively engage with an inspection
- complete a short evaluation of your own area of responsibility and develop an action plan from this work
Studying with the OTC
The course uses a ‘blended’ approach. Each module combines online learning, tutorials (telephone, online, virtual) and face-to face workshops. Learning materials are designed to accommodate the pressures that come with trying to balance work, life and learning making it possible to build study time around your work schedule. Regular online tutorials will expand your knowledge of the topic and answer any questions you have as you study. Each one-day seminar focuses on how the module topic is impacting the sector, will deepen your understanding of the subject matter and help you apply it in your working practice.
Underpinning all of this is our learning community. This is made up of tutors who have extensive first-line experience, learning support staff who understand the human challenges people can face when attending college and our students who are defined by their commitment to supporting each other. We believe this creates a learning experience that is unique to the Open Training College, one that meets the specific requirements of people working in our sector and improves the quality of service our users receive. This is known as the Supported Open Learning Model. You can read more about it here.
The course is QQI approved HET Award at Level 6 on the National Framework of Qualifications. Successful participants will be awarded a single subject Certificate in Managing for Regulation and Inspection. Successful candidates will hold 10 Credits towards the Certificate in Applied Management (Human Services).
Be 23 years of age at time of application, OR
– have successfully completed the Leaving Certificate/QQI/FET Level 5 Certificate.
– be working in a human service environment for at least 10 hours per week as team member/manager/PIC/PPIM.
International applicants must provide documentary evidence of proficiency in English.
Dates and Duration
The next course starts on Monday, May 13th, 2019. It runs for 6 weeks.
- Application deadline: Monday, April 29th,2019
- Course Commences Online: Monday, May 13th, 2019
- Workshop Date: Monday, May 20th, 2019
- Assignment Submission Date: Sunday, June 23rd, 2019
There will also be a course commencing on Monday, June 10th, 2019. It runs for 6 weeks.
- Application deadline: Monday, May 27th, 2019
- Course Commences Online: Monday, June 10th, 2019
- Workshop Date: Monday, June 17th, 2019
- Assignment Submission Date: Sunday, July 14th, 2019
The course costs €395 to attend.
Booking a Place
Apply, via our Online Application Centre by Monday, April 29th, 2019 (or by Monday, May 27th for the later commencement).
How Can We Help?
Contact us if you want to know more about the course.
Call or eMail
Call: (+353 1) 298 8544
Mail: Click Here