This Certificate in Supported Employment Level 7 course is a professional qualification targeted specifically at the needs of people working as job coaches and employment facilitators. It will provide:
- A detailed understanding of the social and legislative context in which the employment of marginalised groups takes place
- A formal grounding in the principles, processes and best practices of Supported Employment
- The skills and tools required to work effectively as a jobs facilitator for the good of service users
Successful completion of the 12-week course will provide you with the tools required to facilitate job seekers into work experience/job sampling and/or supported employment opportunities. You will also receive a Certificate in Supported Employment which is a QQI Level 7 Special Purpose Award.
What will I learn?
This course is made up of two modules and two workshops. The modules will be predominantly online. The workshops will be two 2-day events that will help you place what you have learnt in the context of your own practice. Discussion and the sharing of experiences are actively encouraged.
Unit 1: Supported Employment: An Overview
- Define employment
- The history of services for people with disability in Ireland
- Work and employment for people with disability
- The importance of being employed
- Working when you have a disability
- Previous work options for people with disability
- Sheltered workshops
- Factors that influence the emergence of supported employment
Unit 2: The Context of Supported Employment in Ireland
- Employment Legislation In Northern Ireland
- The Context of Supported Employment in the South of Ireland
- The Commission on the Status of People with Disability
- The NACTE Report: Challenges for The Millennium
Unit 3: Development of Supported Employment
- Supported Employment: The Beginning
- The Evolution of the Model of Supported Employment
- Individual Placement Models
- Supported Employment in the Present
- Trends for the Future Development of Supported Employment
Unit 4: Core Values & Underlying Principles of Supported Employment
- The ideological cornerstones of Supported Employment
- Underlying principles of Supported Employment
Unit 5: Essential Employment Facilitator Skills
- The role of the employment facilitator
- Skills for effective communication
- Person centred planning
- The role of person centred planning in Supported Employment
- Career planning
- Job analysis
- Analysis the work site culture & the environment
- Preparation for the first days at work
- Guidelines for facilitating decisions about support strategies
- Systematic Instruction
- Evaluating outcomes & supports
How will I be assessed?
You will need to undertake a project to complete the course. This will involve working with someone seeking work and supporting them through the first phases of supported employment.
By doing this you will have the opportunity to perform your role in a highly supported environment where you have access to experts and fellow practitioners facing the exact same challenges/opportunities as you.
This may sound daunting but its important to understand the kind of supports we offer our students. Click here for more details on our award winning Supported Open Learning model, designed for busy professionals.
The Learning Experience
THE DIRECTOR'S VIEW - CLAIRE HOPKINS
Tell us a little bit about the course?
It’s a fully accredited course that provides participants with a professional qualification in best practice delivery of a Supported Employment service. The course is designed specifically for the needs of working professionals. For example the course materials we create are meant to be used as both a learning tool and a job aid in work. We firmly believe, as a college, as front line professionals ourselves that they provide a set of tools that will help you help job seekers gain paid employment! That is the real test of the effectiveness of a Supported Employment service and I believe it passes.
Watch this video to hear some of our graduates talk about the course.
How will this Course Enhance my Career Prospects?
The special purpose award is aimed at qualified practitioners who wish to pursue a career as a job coach or employment facilitator. If your agency is involved in implementing New Directions then this course will provide you and the agency with a solid foundation to increase employment opportunities and with that inclusion and empowerment.
The qualification enhances any CV where you may want to go into day services, community inclusion or empowerment.
The course is certified by the QQI as a Level 7 Special Purpose Award (20 credits). Successful participants will receive a Certificate in Supported Employment.
Dates & Duration
The next course will commence online on February 18th, 2022*.
The course runs for 12 weeks.
- Subject to numbers.
Workshop and other important dates:
- Application deadline: Friday, February 4th, 2022
- Course Commences Online: Friday, February 18th, 2022
- Workshops 1 and 2 Dates: week commencing February 21st, 2022 (dates to be decided)
- Workshop 3 Date: week commencing March 7th, 2022 (date to be decided)
- Workshop 4 Date: week commencing March 14th or 21st , 2022 (date to be decided)
- Assignment Submission: Monday, May 16th, 2022
The course costs €995. (The College will discuss course reductions where an agency wants to place a group of staff on the course).
Booking a Place
Please note this course is numbers dependent. Apply via our Online Application Centre by following the link below: