Online/Marino Institute of Education
Certificate in Supported Employment
Apply or express your interest now!
Job coaches, employment facilitators, anyone developing New Directions
FIRST WORKSHOP DATE / TIME
Date to be decided / 9.30am-3.30pm
Date to be decided
FORMAT / DURATION
WHY TAKE THIS COURSE
This Certificate in Supported Employment Level 7 course is a professional qualification targeted specifically at the needs of people working as job coaches and employment facilitators. It will provide:
- A detailed understanding of the social and legislative context in which the employment of marginalised groups takes place
- A formal grounding in the principles, processes and best practices of Supported Employment
- The skills and tools required to work effectively as a jobs facilitator for the good of service users
Successful completion of the 12-week course will provide you with the tools required to facilitate job seekers into work experience/job sampling and/or supported employment opportunities. You will also receive a Certificate in Supported Employment which is a QQI Level 7 Special Purpose Award.
You will write an essay demonstrating your understanding of key areas of Supported Employment and undertake a project to complete the course. It is expected that you are in a position to work with a person in finding or supporting them while on their job.
By doing this you will have the opportunity to perform your role in a highly supported environment where you have access to experts and fellow practitioners facing the exact same challenges/opportunities as you.
You will be supported in your assessment through the OTC's innovative, award winning learner support model. Read more about the model here.
ADDITIONAL COURSE INFORMATION
The Course Director's View - Claire Hopkins
Tell us a little about the course.
It’s a fully accredited course that provides participants with a professional qualification in best practice delivery of a Supported Employment service. The course is designed specifically for the needs of working professionals. For example the course materials we create are meant to be used as both a learning tool and a job aid in work. We firmly believe, as a college, as front line professionals ourselves that they provide a set of tools that will help you help job seekers gain paid employment! That is the real test of the effectiveness of a Supported Employment service and I believe it passes.
HOW THE COURSE WILL IMPACT YOUR CAREER
The special purpose award is aimed at qualified practitioners who wish to pursue a career as a job coach or employment facilitator. If your agency is involved in implementing New Directions then this course will provide you and the agency with a solid foundation to increase employment opportunities and with that inclusion and empowerment.
The qualification enhances any CV where you may want to go into day services, community inclusion or empowerment.
The course is certified by the QQI as a Level 7 Special Purpose Award (20 credits). Successful participants will receive a
- Certificate in Supported Employment (20 credits) (7S15637)
COURSE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
To apply you must:
- have successfully completed a QQI Level 6 Certificate.
- be employed or volunteering in a service for people with disabilities for at least 10 hours a week.
- be currently working in Supported Employment with some experience to meet the assessment requirements.
International Applicants must provide appropriate documentary evidence of proficiency in English (i.e. IELTS 6.0).
HOW TO APPLY
Applications for this course are accepted through our Online Application Centre. To apply for the degree, you will need to:
- Satisfy the entry requirements for the programme
- Provide a range of documents to support your application
- Submit a personal statement explaining why you want to apply
Supporting Documents and Forms to Download
You will need to provide us with a range of documents as part of your application. These are:
- Proof of identity. Common examples included scanned copies of a driving license or passport (for international applicants).
- Employment Validation: Formal confirmation that you are working for more than 10 hours a week in a qualifying service is required. Please use the employer validation form we have provided for download below.
- Personal Statement: This document essentially explains why you want to take the course and how you see it helping you achieve your professional and personal goals. You can learn more about What is a Personal Statement and Why is it Important and download a simple document that will help you write it.
- Volunteer Form: You will need to complete a Volunteer Form if you are currently working as a volunteer.
- International Applicants: International applicants are required to provide documentary evidence of proficiency in English and eligibility to study in Ireland before beginning an accredited course. A document explaining why it is necessary and what documents are required for a successful application can be found below.
We generally recommend you gather together all the documents you will require to support your application before you begin but our online application system will allow you add documents as and when you have them once you've begun submitting your application. You can learn more by visiting the Online Application Centre.
Start Making your Application
All applications are processed through our application centre where you can:
- Submit your application
- Learn about what happens after you've made your application
- Monitor the progress of your application
To visit the Online Application Centre, click on the link below.
HOW CAN WE HELP?
Contact us if you want to know more about the course.
Call: (+353) 86 0756580 (Business hours 9am-5pm)
Mail: Please use the contact form below.