The six-week course takes contemporary best practices in service quality and safeguarding and supports you to manage these areas in the human services and non-profit sector.
This accredited, professional course is also the second module of our 2-module Fast Track Management course for PICs. The first module is the Certificate in Key Management Skills
Who Is The Service Quality and Safeguarding Course For?
Are you a manager who is dealing with the difficulties of delivering a quality service? Are you a new manager? Do you want to become a manager or supervisor?
The course is for current/prospective first line supervisors and managers who are looking to develop their management skills in an accredited programme created specifically for the human services and non-profit sector.
What Will I learn on the Service Quality and Safeguarding course?
After successfully completing the course you should be able to:
- Define and discuss the concept of quality in human services and non-profit organisations and explain why customer expectations are so important
- Describe how approaches to quality have evolved and identify the difference between a quality service and a quality system
- Discuss the work of two key theorists of quality management – W. Edwards Deming and Philip B. Crosby
- Understand the role of effective leadership and good people management skills in quality management
- Identify the main elements of Total Quality Management (TQM)
- Explain the concept of “kaizen”, a Japanese term referring to continuous improvement
- Discuss the factors determining quality systems in human services and non-profit organisations
- Identify and critically discuss a variety of quality models and frameworks that can be used productively by human services and non-profit organisations
- Relate safeguarding to the provision of service quality
The course will be delivered in four units:
In Unit 1 of the module you will be introduced to the quality concept and how this has evolved over time. Throughout the unit you will be encouraged to apply the elements of quality to your own organisation, service and area of responsibility.
The primary focus of Unit 2 is Total Quality Management (TQM) as this approach has much to offer human services and an examination of its elements will provide a framework for those interested in reviewing quality within their organisation and perhaps seeking to change it.
Unit 3 will present you with a number of models, approaches and frameworks that you can use to tangibly improve quality of service and, ultimately, the quality of life of the many people who use services in Ireland.
In Unit 4 the topic of safeguarding is explored and you will be presented with key values that should underpin any safeguarding measures designed and implemented with and for people. You will be encouraged to review the process of safeguarding from a manager’s perspective and will consider approaches that tangibly enhance quality service provision within your area of responsibility.
How Will I Be Assessed?
To complete the course you will need to write a 2,000-word paper that explores the relationship between the course materials and your role as a manager. This is a practical assignment that will provide you with the opportunity to evaluate and expand your working practices in an environment where you have access to expert advice and the support of professional contemporaries.
The Learner Experience
The Course Director’s View – Brendan Collins
"The modern day manager in human services must be able to ensure service quality and safeguarding for the people who use the service. Without these there is no point having the service at all.
this course is different from other management courses in that the whole course is focussed on human services including the disability and voluntary sector and supports the student to bring best practice back to their service in these areas.
Through the award winning blended learning model the OTC believe this creates a learning experience that meets the particular needs of people working in our sector and improves the quality of service our users receive. This is known as the Supported Open Learning Model. Read more about the model here"
How Will This Course Enhance My Career Prospects?
Successful completion of the course will increase your ability to effectively manage an organisation and staff in a way that meets with current regulatory requirements.
The course is QQI approved HET Award at Level 6 on the National Framework of Qualifications. Successful participants will be awarded a single subject Certificate in Managing Service Quality and Safeguarding and hold 10 Credits towards the Certificate in Applied Management (Human Services).
How Do I Apply?
Applications for this course are accepted through our Online Application Centre.
To apply for the course, you will need to:
- Satisfy the entry requirements for the programme
- Provide a range of documents to support your application
- Submit a personal statement explaining why you want to apply
Please register your interest in this course with course via our application centre or Contact Sheet below.
Booking a Place
Apply, via our Online Application Centre or phone us at (01) 2988544.