Certificate in Human Resource Management and Supervision
Next commencement: Monday, March, 2024
Certificate in Human Resource Management and Supervision
Contact the College
AWARD TYPE / LEVEL
To be decided
Persons in Charge (PICs), Managers, Supervisors & those interested in developing first line management capabilities
NEXT WORKSHOP DATE / TIME
Date to be decided / 9.30am - 4.00pm
Date to be decided
WHY TAKE THIS COURSE
This six-week course is designed to provide you with a working knowledge of the importance, role and function of Human Resource Management, particularly in relation to the not-for-profit and human services sector.
While completing this course of study you will also be introduced to key elements of the Supervision process which is of the highest importance in order to manage, lead and support staff effectively.
Are you a manager who has responsibility for the support, development and leadership of a group of staff members? Do you have responsibility for providing regular Supervision to staff?
The course is for current managers who are interested in developing their management skills in an accredited programme created specifically for the human services and non-profit sector.
The course is QQI approved HET Award at Level 6 on the National Framework of Qualifications. Successful participants will be awarded a single subject Certificate in Human Resource Management and Supervision and hold 20 Credits towards the Higher Certificate in Applied Management (Human Services) (find out more on the link below).
WHAT YOU WILL YOU LEARN
After successfully completing the course you should be able to:
• Describe human resource management from a general perspective.
• Discuss the current legislative environment for human resource management in Ireland.
• Evaluate the importance of good governance in human services.
• Identify effective strategies to manage staff performance.
• Develop a plan to promote the positives of supervision in your agency.
The course is designed to assist you in developing the skills needed to address the pressures and responsibilities that you experience as a manager. The mixture of workshops, tutorials and online learning will allow you to balance your work, life and college commitments. It is important to note that our active learning community (made up of students, tutors and learning support staff) is always there to support you as you learn.
The programme is accredited by QQI. It is also designed specifically to facilitate continuing professional development.
The course is delivered in 5 units. See them outlined below:
The aim of Unit 1 is to present you with the history and development of Human Resource Management which will assist and guide you in understanding its role and function in today’s organisational environment.
Unit 2 facilitates you to reflect on how you can get the best from your staff, including providing them with appropriate development support and by valuing their contribution to the organisation.
The work associated with Managing Volunteers makes up Unit 3 and this material provides you with a sound knowledge of volunteerism and the key issues in relation to it. You are also presented with the key management skills required in recruiting and supporting volunteers.
The aim of Unit 4 is to provide you with a general knowledge on the role and function of senior management, including the CEO and Board of Management. In this unit you also reflect on the concept of ‘governance’ within the community and voluntary sector.
Finally, Unit 5 introduces you to the process of Supervision so that you can then begin supporting staff members more effectively in their learning, reflection and personal development in order to enhance the quality of service provided to people.
To complete the course, you will need to write a 2,500-word paper that explores the relationship between the course materials and your role as a manager. This is a practical assignment that will provide you with the opportunity to evaluate and expand your working practices in an environment where you have access to expert advice and the support of professional contemporaries.
There will also be a short online element whereby you will discuss with your fellow course participants a topic related to the overall subject matter.
HOW THE COURSE WILL IMPACT YOUR CAREER
Successful completion of the course will increase your ability to more effectively manage, lead and support staff members and staff teams and so create greater opportunities for you to grow professionally within your organisation and the wider sector.
The course is QQI approved HET Award at Level 6 on the National Framework of Qualifications. Successful participants will be awarded a single subject Certificate in Human Resource Management and Supervision award (20 Credits).
On completion of this course, you will also have completed a module from the Higher Certificate in Applied Management, which is Year Two of the BA in Applied Management Level 7 degree course.
COURSE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
To apply you must:
• be either 23 years of age when you apply; OR
• have successfully completed a Leaving Certificate/QQI/FETAC Level 5 Certificate
• be working in a human service environment for at least 10 hours per week as team member/manager/PIC/PPIM.
Please note that the OTC is not registered with the Department of Justice on the ILEP (Interim List of Eligible Providers) and therefore cannot accommodate any international applicants seeking an education visa.
International applicants must provide appropriate documentary evidence of proficiency in English (i.e. IELTS 6.0).
HOW TO APPLY
Applications for this course are accepted through our Online Application Centre. To apply for the degree, you will need to:
- Satisfy the entry requirements for the programme
- Provide a range of documents to support your application
- Submit a personal statement explaining why you want to apply
Supporting Documents and Forms to Download
You will need to provide us with a range of documents as part of your application. These are:
- Proof of identity. Common examples included scanned copies of a driving license or passport (for international applicants).
- Educational Transcripts: These are copies of previous educational achievements that confirm you satisfy the course entry requirements. They could, for example, include a copy of your leaving certificate or a scan of a level 5 certificate. It is particularly important that applicants wishing to transfer from another course, or be considered for Advanced Entry, provide transcripts confirming they have completed a Level 6/7 course worth at least 60 credits (NFQ) or more in Social Care or Social Studies within the last 10 years.
- Employment Validation: Formal confirmation that you are working for more than 10 hours a week in a qualifying service is required. Please use the employer validation form we have provided for download below.
- Personal Statement: This document essentially explains why you want to take the course and how you see it helping you achieve your professional and personal goals. You can learn more about What is a Personal Statement and Why is it Important and download a simple document that will help you write it.
- Volunteer Form: You will need to complete a Volunteer Form if you are currently working as a volunteer.
- International Applicants: International applicants are required to provide documentary evidence of proficiency in English and eligibility to study in Ireland before beginning an accredited course. A document explaining why it is necessary and what documents are required for a successful application can be found below.
We generally recommend you gather together all the documents you will require to support your application before you begin but our online application system will allow you add documents as and when you have them once you've begun submitting your application. You can learn more by visiting the Online Application Centre.
Start Making your Application
All applications are processed through our application centre where you can:
- Submit your application
- Learn about what happens after you've made your application
- Monitor the progress of your application
To visit the Online Application Centre, click on the link below.
HOW CAN WE HELP?
Contact us if you want to know more about the course.
Call: (+353) 086 0756580 (Business hours 9am-5pm)
Mail: Please use the contact form below.