- Commence at any time
- Apply via the Online Application Centre Button link
OTC Certificate in Safeguarding Vulnerable Persons at Risk of Abuse (PDF doc)
At Any Time
Organisations, first line supervisors & managers in intellectual disability services; redeployed staff
NEXT WORKSHOP DATE / TIME
Up to 5 Days
€20 per person (Optional for Cert)
WHY TAKE THIS COURSE
The course aims to ‘increase capacity of all staff and service users in relation to key information on the safeguarding of vulnerable people as outlined in the National Policy "Safeguarding Vulnerable Persons at Risk of Abuse", published in December 2014, and how this impacts on their local service policy and is supported by good organisational culture.
"Culture manifests what is important, valued and accepted in an Organisation. It is not easily changed nor is it susceptible to change merely by a pronouncement, command or the declaration of a new vision. At its most basic it can be reduced to the observation the way things are done around here".
This programme is an online course that can be used to support staff to understand and implement the National Policy and to consider a set of approaches available to protect vulnerable people and identify how organisational culture is a key element in developing effective strategies.
This course has been recommended in a recent circular from the HSE National Safeguarding Office:
Extract from a circular distributed by the National Safeguarding Office on March 26th, 2020:
General guidance on a minimum approach to safeguarding induction training for new personnel during public health emergency period
During the health emergency period you are advised to give new personnel an initial induction on adult safeguarding by utilising either of the following resources. Once the public health emergency is over please ensure all these recently inducted personnel undertake the standard safeguarding training in relation to the HSE Vulnerable Persons at Risk of Abuse policy.
- The Safeguarding Vulnerable Persons at Risk of Abuse online course provided by the Open Training College.
Source: Tim Hanly | General Manager | National Safeguarding Office
HSE |South East Wing, St. Joseph’s Hospital, Mulgrave Street, Limerick
061 461165 |Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | www.hse.ie
Who is the Safeguarding Vulnerable Persons Course For?
- The course is available as a free resource for all organisations. Individuals can progress through the course systematically or access any part of the course that contains the materials they want to review. This option does not produce a certificate of completion for the individual. It can be accessed at YourOTC.net
- If you are a manager and you would like the opportunity to monitor a group of staff or an individual staff member’s progress through the course, the Open Training College (OTC) would be more than happy to help. The OTC is offering tracking and/or certification for course completion for the purposes of CPD for staff at all levels. Contact us at email@example.com, or using the form below, to discuss the process and the cost involved.
- If you are an individual and would like to complete the course and get certification for your job, CPD portfolio or CV, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will provide you with details on how to pay and log in details to access the certified course.
WHAT YOU WILL YOU LEARN
WHAT YOU WILL YOU LEARN
Completion of this course provides you with the information you require to support your practice until you have to complete the HSE Safeguarding Vulnerable Persons classroom-based course.
It is not a substitute for it.
This course is delivered in 10 sections:
Unit 1: Introduction to the Course
Unit 2: How to Use the Course
Unit 3: Defining Key Terms
Unit 4: Definitions and Indicators or Abuse
Unit 5: Organisational Culture
Unit 6: The Features of a Positive Organisational Culture
Unit 7: Everyone has a Role in Safeguarding
Unit 8: Reporting Abuse
Unit 9: Do's and Don'ts of Safeguarding
Unit 10: Acknowledgements and Assessment
Students undertake short modules which are assessed by online quizzes.
How will this Course be Delivered
Safeguarding Vulnerable Persons at Risk of Abuse is a self-directed online course that takes 90 minutes (approx.) to complete. It can be completed over a number of sessions during a 5-day (or shorter) period.
Upon completion, the system will provide an electronic PDF OTC Certificate of Completion which can be saved and printed.
ADDITIONAL COURSE INFORMATION
The Student View – Siobhan Baker - SNA Mainstream School
Why did you choose to study with the College?
Studying with the OTC was such a wonderful experience for me; it has given me confidence in myself.
HOW THE COURSE WILL IMPACT YOUR CAREER
The course is essential for anyone working and supporting a person or people in the disability or social care sectors.
The qualification enhances any CV where you may want to go into residential services, day services, community inclusion or empowerment.
The course is certified by the OTC.
Successful participants who wish to follow the certification route will obtain an:
- OTC Certificate of Completion in Safeguarding Vulnerable Persons at Risk of Abuse.
COURSE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Access to a computer
HOW TO APPLY
Individuals wishing to receive a certificate will need to contact Linda at Linda.Hu@opentrainingcollege.com to pay the €20 fee and be enrolled.
Managers wishing to enrol a group of individuals will forward the first names, last names and email addresses within 3 columns in an excel spreadsheet to email@example.com.
Louise will respond to each individual with login information and a "How To" ebooklet.
Start Making your Application
To visit the Online Application Centre, click on the link below.
HOW CAN WE HELP?
Contact us if you want to know more about the course.
Call Conor: (+353) 86 0756580 (Business hours 9am-5pm)
Mail: Please use the contact form below.