- Next course commencement: January 1st, 2024
- Appy by: Thursday, December 14th, 2023
- Informal Interviews/Information Event for Applicants: Monday, December 18th, 2023, starts 9.30am (by Zoom)
- Please note: CPD Fastrack Management module options are available: eg. Certificate in Managing Service Quality / Certificate in Key Management Skills
Certificate in Applied Management (Human Services)
Persons in Charge (PICs), Managers, Supervisors & those interested in developing first line management capabilities
FIRST WORKSHOP DATE / TIME
08-01-2024 / 10am - 3.00pm
FINAL ASSIGNMENT SUBMISSION
WHY TAKE THIS COURSE
The Certificate in Applied Management (Human Services) is a one-year professional development programme created for people working in the human services, community and non-profit sector. It will:
- Develop your understanding of the specific management skills required to deliver quality services in the sector
- Provide you with the tools needed to supervise, lead and manage a team
- Help you understand the statutory and regulatory environment in which you operate
- Satisfy the management qualification requirements set out in the HIQA Standards
Successful completion of this Award will lead to a Certificate in Applied Management. This is a QQI higher education and training (HET) Award (PG23919) at Level 6 on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ).
WHAT YOU WILL YOU LEARN
After successfully completing the course you should:
- Understand the principles of First Line Management and how they relate to your area of responsibility
- Recognise the professional development and ethical issues that are driving contemporary Person Centred Human Services
- Have started to develop key management skills around Communications, Effective Teamwork, Leadership, Risk Management, Motivation and Conflict Management
- Be familiar with the legislative and regulatory environment in which your organization operates and how this impacts on the role of the manager
- Have an understanding of the financial and economic context in which the human services, community and non-profit sectors operate and recognize the management decision making challenges this presents
- Understand the management issues that need to be considered to ensure that the best possible service quality is delivered.
The Certificate in Applied Management Course is made up of 6 modules. See them outlined below:
To view or download the 2023-24, or the 2024 Provisional Course Calendar, click on one of the links below:
The course is assessed through a combination of assignments, online activities, written examinations and in-class assessment.
It is an applied course so you must be working at least 10 hours per week in an appropriate work environment.
Promoting best practice in services is integral to the College's mission. As part of this, we place particular importance on encouraging students to apply what they are learning - as they are learning - in their professional environment. Therefore, our learning materials, workshops and assessments are practical in nature. A significant proportion of assessment marks, for example, are allocated to applying what you learn in real-world settings.
HOW THE COURSE WILL IMPACT YOUR CAREER
Successful completion of this course will allow you to progress onto a higher certificate at Level 6 in a management area.
The skills acquired have been used by graduates to:
- support their promotion within their organisations (57% of OTC Graduates said they moved to a more senior role within one year of completion*)
- to seek management opportunities within and beyond where they work
- to satisfy the regulatory requirements of HIQA for a formal management qualification
*OTC Graduate Destinations Survey 2022
COURSE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
To apply you must:
- Be either 23 years of age when you apply, or
- Have successfully completed a Leaving Certificate/QQI/FETAC Level 5 Certificate.
- All applicants must be currently working in the human services, community or not for profit environment for at least 10 hours a week and need to be able to apply their learning to an appropriate work setting.
International applicants must provide appropriate documentary evidence of proficiency in English (i.e. IELTS 6.0).
HOW TO APPLY
Applications for this course are accepted through our Online Application Centre. To apply for the degree, you will need to:
- Satisfy the entry requirements for the programme
- Provide a range of documents to support your application
- Submit a personal statement explaining why you want to apply
Supporting Documents and Forms to Download
You will need to provide us with a range of documents as part of your application. These are:
We generally recommend you gather together all the documents you will require to support your application before you begin but our online application system will allow you add documents as and when you have them once you've begun submitting your application. You can learn more by visiting the Online Application Centre.
A Special Note About Protecting Enrolled Users
The Open Training College (OTC) has approval to offer students learner protection insurance in respect of Protection of Enrolled Learners (PEL) for this course. To read more about PEL, click the link below.
Start Making your Application
All applications are processed through our application centre where you can:
- Submit your application
- Learn about what happens after you've made your application
- Monitor the progress of your application
To visit the Online Application Centre, click on the link below.
HOW CAN WE HELP?
Contact us if you want to know more about the course.
Call: (+353) 86 0756580 (Business hours 9am-5pm)
Mail: Please use the contact form below