The six-week course takes contemporary key management skills in human service management and analyses them in terms of their practical usefulness to managing in the human services and non-profit sector.
The certificate will increase your ability to lead, motivate and manage a team in the human services and non-profit sector. After completing the certified programme, you will:
- Understand the critical factors that determine how you manage
- Possess the tools required to evaluate, extend and improve your personal and organisational management capabilities
This accredited, professional course is also the first module of our 2-module Fast Track Management course for PICs along with Managing Service Quality and Safeguarding.
Who Is The Key Management Skills Course For?
Are you a manager who is dealing with the difficulties of delivering a quality service? Are you a new manager? Do you want to become a manager or supervisor?
The course is for current/prospective first line supervisors and managers who are looking for key management skills to enhance their leadership, motivational, team-building and management skills in an accredited programme developed specifically for the social care, disability and non-profit sector.
It is suitable for people engaged in continuing professional development. Upon successful completion, you will receive 10 educational credits towards a Level 6 Applied Management award that can be used as a platform to gain further qualifications.
What Will I Learn on the Key Management Skills Course?
After successfully completing the course you should be able to:
- Describe and critically discuss key aspects of managing people
- Employ a number of theories that are used to explain the management of people
- Critically examine how people are managed in your organisation
- Analyse and evaluate how you manage other people
- Formulate your own professional development as a manager
The degree is designed to accommodate the pressures and responsibilities that you face. Its mixture of workshops, tutorials and online learning will allow you to balance your work, life and college commitments. Remember; our active learning community (made up of students, tutors and learning support staff) is always there to support you as you learn.
The course will be delivered in four units and covers the following areas:
- Who do you manage?
- Providing feedback
- How to support your staff
- Managing your manager
- The key skills required to manage volunteers
- Group dynamics, development and performance factors
- The elements of effective teamwork
- Team building: a process model
- Leadership theories
- The traits of an effective leader
- How managers can lead
- Motivation theories
- How to motivate yourself and your team
- The cause and effect of conflict
- The difference between position and issue in conflict situations
- The ACT model
How Will I Be Assessed?
To complete the course you will need to write a 2,000-word paper that explores the relationship between the course materials and your role as a manager. This is a practical assignment that will provide you with the opportunity to evaluate and expand your working practices in an environment where you have access to expert advice and the support of professional contemporaries.
The Learner Experience
The Course Director’s View – Brendan Collins
"Managing human services is not an easy task. the modern day manager must be skilled in many ways to ensure that the service the service user wants is delivered. And as important they keep their team motivated, focussed and progressing forward.
This course provides key management skills to work effectively in today's human services. This course is different from other management courses in the course is focussed solely on working within human services like the disability and volunteer sector.
Our award winning blended approach is also unique. The OTC believe this creates a learning experience that meets the particular needs of people working in our sector and improves the quality of service our users receive. This is known as the Supported Open Learning Model. "
How Will the Key Management Skills Course Enhance My Career Prospects?
Successful completion of the course will increase your ability to effectively manage an organisation and staff in a way that meets with current regulatory requirements.
The course also enhances the CV of any prospective manager.
The course is QQI approved HET Award at Level 6 on the National Framework of Qualifications. Successful participants will be awarded a single subject Certificate in Managing Service Quality and Safeguarding and hold 10 Credits towards the Certificate in Applied Management (Human Services).
How Do I Apply?
Applications for this course are accepted through our Online Application Centre.
To apply for the course, you will need to:
- Satisfy the entry requirements for the programme
- Provide a range of documents to support your application
- Submit a personal statement explaining why you want to apply
Booking a Place
Apply, via our Online Application Centre or phone us at (01) 2988544.